Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Bookcase Makeover

I finally have started working on a few things for my own classroom! Don't get me wrong I LOVE making labels and such for all my customers, but there is something rewarding about making something for yourself.

I got the idea to makeover my bookcases...the ones I use at the end of my groups...on Pinterest so many times, but I just sort of did it my way :)


As some of you may know I had to sell most of my classroom due to lack of moving truck space. I absolutely can't imagine not having my group bookshelves, so I bought new ones. As I was putting them together I really wanted to add a little bit of pizzaz. 

First either take the backer board off or if you have new bookshelves grab it out of the box.

I chose to adhere the fabric to the plain side of the backer board so that when looking at the shelving from the back you can see black and not cardboard.

I then cut a piece of fabric slightly larger than the backer board itself. 


Of course I had to choose a patterned fabric! I then laid the fabric on the backer board and began hot gluing around the edges, being sure to pull tightly and trying to keep the pattern even (not so easy).


Once that was done I flipped the board over and trimmed it closely.


Finally I laid the backer board on the shelf (face down) and stapled the heck out of it!!! Once again one thing I learned from my custodian was to staple (with an industrial stapler) the backer board to the bookshelf because it lasts longer than the nails that never seem to go in straight, and cause the backer board to rip. 



Then TADA! (now only five more to go!)


I will post pictures of it in my classroom once it's all set up. 

Another quicker option...paint the backer board :) 

As I mentioned before the bookshelves are the Mainstay brand found at Walmart, you can even buy them online and ship to store. Here is the link! I found these are good because of the height. You can put them at the end of a desk group and the kids can still see over them.